Children and hardwood floors aren’t always a good mix. Dust, dirt, scratches, and spills can be tough on your hardwoods, but with kids around, it’s hard to avoid them. So how can you make wood floors work for your Martinez, CA, home? Our experts at Floor Coverings International Concord have a few tips to make sure your hardwoods look new for years to come.
Choosing the Right Hardwood Floor for Your Family
The key to loving your hardwoods long-term is choosing the right wood flooring to begin with. Here are a few things to consider when shopping for hardwoods:
- Lighter-toned woods are better at hiding dust and dirt than their dark counterparts. Maple, oak, and cherry are a few light-colored hardwoods to consider when making your decision.
- Steer away from glossy finishes. A glossy wood floor will more readily show scratches, dents, and dust, while a matte finish will help hide blemishes.
- Want a trendy look for your wood floor? Ask about hand-scraped flooring. Hand-scraped hardwood has a more textured and distressed look that will help disguise scratches and dents.
- Be sure to choose a hard, durable floor that will stand up to wear and tear. To find out the hardness of different woods, check their Janka scale rating. Exotic hardwoods like Brazilian cherry are very tough, but they are only available in darker hues. For a durable floor that is also lighter in color, try maple, hickory, or white oak.
How to Maintain Your Hardwoods
Even if you’ve chosen a tough and durable hardwood, proper care and maintenance is essential to preserving your floors. Here are a few ways to keep them looking like new:
- Seal your floors with a clear sealant like polyurethane. This will help protect the wood and repel spilled liquids from causing permanent damage.
- To minimize dirt, use door mats both inside and outside of your house.
- Place rugs in areas with heavy activity, like hallways or playrooms. This will prevent dents and scratches from kids’ toys and scratching from shoes.
- Clean up spills as soon as possible so the moisture does not penetrate and damage your hardwoods.
- Encourage family members and guests to remove their shoes inside the house. This will prevent them from tracking dirt and mud onto your floors, while also limiting the scraping and scratching of shoes on the wood.
- Regularly sweep, vacuum, or dust mop your floors to keep them clean.
Need help choosing the right hardwood flooring for your Martinez home? Call Floor Coverings International Concord today! We provide free in-home estimates throughout the Concord, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, & Martinez, CA area.
Photo Credit: kibler