Family rooms (or living rooms) are areas of the home where families commonly spend time together, perhaps watching movies, reading stories, and playing board games. A family room floor needs to be durable to stand up to high foot traffic, but it also needs to be warm and comfortable. That is why many Concord homeowners choose carpet for their living room.
- Carpeting is excellent at dampening sound, an important quality for living room flooring. Families can enjoy this space without fear of waking others.
- It is soft and warm. It feels great underfoot and makes falls softer, which is great for homes with young children.
- Carpet can improve air quality by trapping allergens in its fibers. Studies have linked new carpet products to an improvement in symptoms for those suffering from asthma or allergies.
- You can find a carpet in any color or style. Carpeting works in any room and with any décor, whether it’s formal or casual, traditional or modern.
- Carpet flooring adds insulation, saving you money on energy bills.
- It is easier to maintain than many hard-floor options, requiring only regular vacuuming and annual, professional deep-cleanings.
Loop Pile Carpeting
Carpeting is manufactured by sewing “loops” of yarn together. There are two main types of carpeting: loop pile and cut pile. Loop pile carpets, such as Berber, leave the loops intact. It is popular for its durability and aesthetics, making it perfect for high-traffic spaces like family rooms. However, it is generally not as comfortable as cut pile carpet’s softer fibers.
Cut Pile Carpeting
In cut pile carpets, the loops are cut to create a softer, more uniform surface. This results in carpeting that is very comfortable with varying levels of durability. Here are some popular subtypes of cut pile carpet:
- Saxony is the purest form of cut pile. It is likely the image you have in your head when you think of carpet floors. Saxony works better in low-traffic areas because it is susceptible to wear and stains.
- Carpet manufacturers create frieze (pronounced freeze) by taking Saxony and twisting the individual strands so they curl over on themselves, hiding dirt and wear. Frieze strikes a balance between comfort and durability.
- Textured cut pile is durable and long lasting. Individual strands are twisted and set into the carpet using heat. Many textured carpets are “trackless,” referring to their ability to hide footprints and vacuum tracks.
Your Flooring Experts
At Floor Coverings International Concord, we are committed to finding the best carpeting for your Concord, Walnut Creek, & Lafayette, CA area home. Call today and learn more about our carpet flooring options from the comfort of your own family room.
You Might Also Enjoy
Photo © pics721